Sat 24.10.2020 18.00 - 19.15
VocalEspoo: Earth from the air
Espoo Cultural Centre - Kulttuuriaukio 2 02100 Espoo
They say that the beauty – and vulnerability – of the earth can only be understood when viewed from space. An understanding of humanity is no doubt equally difficult to achieve.
The themes of humankind and nature lie at the heart of the 20th-anniversary concert of the EMO Ensemble, a youth chamber choir founded at the Espoo Music Institute in 2000. Humanity is addressed via Katedralen (The Cathedral), a setting by Einojuhani Rautavaara of poems by Edith Södergran unfolding in an immense stellar landscape and soaring to eternity, and Francis Poulenc’s suite Figure humaine, drawing on poems by Paul Éluard and portraying even our deepest fears. Poulenc wrote this massive work for unaccompanied voices during the Second World War. Wandering in nature are works by Jēkabs Jančevskis, composers from that great choral superpower, Latvia, and pieces spiced with Cuban-African and Filipino rhythms by Yaniel Fdez Aguila and Nilo B. Alcala. The conductor is Pasi Hyökki.
Duration 1 h 15 min, no intermission
- Please do not attend an event if you are ill or suspect that you might be ill. Use the hand sanitiser available in the facilities while inside the building.
- Cough correctly – into your sleeve or a disposable tissue, which you should immediately throw away.
- Maintain a safe distance from other customers and staff when queuing for the cloakroom, cafeteria, ticket desk or hall.
- Events are until further notice arranged with a smaller capacity.
- As of Monday, 19 October 2020, we require that all over 15-year-olds wear a face mask on our premises and when attending our events.
Espoo Cultural Centre, Tapiola Hall
Tickets: €22/19/15 + service charges (from €1), lippu.fi